Proven Success Rate
- In a world where 80% of small businesses fail in the first 5 years, this program has a track record of clients achieving an 80% SUCCESS rate after 5 years!
- Most businesses fail because they simply do not know what to do. Learn how to get started, and how to maintain your momentum.
- Get feedback on your business idea from the get-go!
- Get resources for funding your business, a clear idea of how much money you need and how you can manage your cash flow.
- Have a qualified business coach by your side throughout your participation on the SE program – you don’t have to do this alone!
- Ongoing advice and feedback on your marketing strategies, including knowing what is and is not working and how to measure the effectiveness of your marketing plan.
- Assistance with producing and interpreting your financial information and results.
Real Business Training
- Learn the critical components of running a business. We know that you know best about what you do, but do you understand: Cash flow? Inventory? Bookkeeping? Income Tax? Marketing/Branding? Sales? Advertising? Social Media? Website Development?
- Get quality training and mentoring from professionals!
- Feedback from your community and access to community resources and networking opportunities.
All Of This
Business Works Central Alberta is funded by the Alberta Government and free to any Albertan who meets the eligibility requirements below!
What is Business Works Central Alberta?
Alberta Labour is supporting the small business sector by providing potential entrepreneurs with assistance, information and training in the start-up and operation of their new businesses. The intent is to ensure that new business start-ups have comprehensive business plans that are able to withstand challenging economic conditions and remain economically viable in the long term.
- Formal instruction in starting and operating a business, including assessment of your personal suitability and your business idea, and business plan development.
- One-to-one business coaching and guidance during business implementation.
- Ongoing support, guidance and service management during and after the program.
You will be expected to attend in-class formal instruction to explore the viability of your idea and to develop a business plan. The majority of the training will take place online, however physical locations will be available for individuals to access program staff, equipment, information and resources, as well as business coaching, consulting and service management.
Why Choose the Business Works Central Alberta Self-Employment Program?
Location & Intake Information
Open for Applications
Starting November 19th!
Begin the application process by clicking the “Begin Your Journey Now” Button below!
Your application will be reviewed and an interview set up if your application meets the eligibility requirements. Training workshops will be offered every six weeks.
Preference will be given to an individual who is an unemployed person whom, when participating in the SE program is:
- an active regular EI benefit claimant, or
- has had an EI benefit period that ended within the previous 60 months, or
- has paid sufficient employee premiums (earned more than $2,000 / year employment income) in at least 5 of the previous 10 calendar years.
Priority is given to individuals who:
- Own 51% of the proposed business and
- Are not receiving business training from a franchise company
Upon completion of formal instruction and business plan completion, you will be expected to begin implementation of your business on a full-time basis (minimum of 30 hours per week)
- Eligible to work in Canada.
- Possess the educational or pre-requisite skills needed to operate your business.
- Are 18 years of age or older.
- Have a viable business idea for starting a new business or taking over an existing business where you have not had prior ownership.
- Have the capital or access to capital needed to start and operate your business.
- Have the personal attributes to be a successful entrepreneur.
- Have the skills and knowledge of the products or services pertaining to your business.
Your Path. Your Business. Your Time.
Are You Ready?
Click to apply to the Business Works Central Alberta Self-Employment program. Follow the instructions to complete your application. A team member will be in contact with you shortly!
The Province of Alberta is working in partnership with the Government of Canada to provide employment support programs and services.